Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Klein Group Windows

     Every year or so, for the past 4 years, I am given the responsibility of designing and installing the window displays for The Klein Group's showroom, at The World Trade Center in Dallas. I just finished this yesterday, and this is the first time I am fully satisfied with the outcome. That is not to say I have never been proud of any of my previous designs, especially the one I won an award for. I've just always felt a little limited with resources, or not confident in my craftsmanship or type choices. After this past year of design classes, I felt a little more prepared and confident in my ability and taste. 


     Below are my sketches, process work and final installed designs for the project. Big thanks to Ellen Mayfield for helping with the second window graphics, Juan Cardenas & Sean Tooke for helping install the main and second window and to my aunt Connie and uncle Lupe for all the help on the cakes. There is no way any of this gets done without y'all. 


Sketching:


 Post-its worked great for visualizing this design.





Process:

 First paint the walls...

 ...done.
 Vectorize some sketching and add color.

 Details.

 Picking up graphics from Fast Signs in off Collins in Arlington. Thanks to my classmate Moises for the fast turn around and great work.

The main window layout.


Measuring it up, layer by layer. 

 First layer.

 Second layer.

 Third layer and adding lights

 Fourth layer and more lights.

 Fifth layer and more lights.
 Hiding the light wires.

Final layer on.

Entry display.

Close up on the entry display


Laying out the second window.

 Second window.


Making the cakes out of fondant and styrofoam. Never done this before. Thanks Aunt Connie and Lupe, and YouTube. 


 Cake added to the second window.

 Cakes in the main window.

 Close up on the big cake.
Over-filtered Instagram of the main window.
 Final:

 I will try to remember to add pictures once the mannequins are up.


1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures of progress in motion. Enjoying helping you with the project!Thanks for sharing these pictures! Finished product, so far looks great. I can't wait to see how you'll add the mannequins!

    Aunt Connie

    ReplyDelete