Friday, December 23, 2011

Krank Empire (T-shirt Review)



Over the Thanksgiving break I met up with Andrew and Christian, who together run Krank Empire, in Austin. Krank Empire is a full service design, printing and production house based in ATX. These guys do it all from tees to web design. They are really a good source to have if you are looking to start up a brand or need some new resources for your current brand.

In our quick meeting Andrew gave me a couple of tees, one which I will be reviewing today. So this review will not be the typical mailed in package review, being that the tee was handed to me not mailed. I will, however, be grading it on extras, design, quality-vs-price and fit. The grading is based on a 1-5 number system 1 being crap and 5 being as dope as it gets. Lets get started.


Above is the stock picture taken from the Krank Empire website. This tee is called "Endo Weed."

EXTRAS: 
The tee was given to me in a bag along with these few brand extras. There were plenty of stickers, 2 designs, and a Krank Empire lighter. Nothing earth shattering here, very standard extras, but I will say I have not seen anyone include a lighter before. That is a cool idea and also shows what the guys can do as far as product printing. Very solid extras, I will give them a 4. Not a 5 only because I would like to see some color in the stickers and lighters. Not just black and white.


DESIGN.
I think the design is clever and well executed. The play on words requires one to know a little ebonics, but luckily for me I am fluent. Like I said I think its clever, very clean. A single color print works great for a design like this, I can also appreciate them not "over-doing it." I think the size of the print and location work well for this tee. I did not see any branding on the tee. Other than the hang tag, which will be removed once worn, there is no way to know if this is a Krank Empire shirt or not. I would like to have seen a Krank logo on the sleeve or implemented on the End-o-Weed can. Other than that, it is a great design. I give the design a solid 4


QUALITY VS PRICE
These tees cost 20 bucks a piece. Very fair, and almost a standard now days for an indie brands early work.  These are printed on American Apparel blanks so you know you are getting a square deal. Considering the soft water based ink print, the extras and they are finished off with this Krank Empire custom hang tag, I give them a 5 in the quality vs price column. These guys offer a very fair price for what the are selling. Great job on the price point.

FIT
I didn't get the correct size in this tee, so I didn't try it on. I wear a medium and I was given a XL. No big deal, I am sure the tee fits fine. It is printed on American Apparel and I am familiar with the fit. Rather than giving the tee a 1 on the fit, I am going to give it a 4 because I know how AA fits.

OVERALL
So the final grade for this EndoWeed Tee is 17/20. Very good score! Thanks to Andrew and Christian for hooking me up with this tee. Y'all check the page out and follow them on Twitter and Facebook...

Contact info:
Twitter: @krankempire
Facebook: /KrankEmpire

No comments:

Post a Comment